Sunday, November 11, 2007

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles





Back from Chicago, and what fun trip! Katelyn and I were able to tag along with Bryan while he was attending the Greenbuild Association Conference at McCormick Place all week. After a VERY early flight on Tuesday am (taking off at 6am, leaving here a little after 4am), we arrived to a much cooler city. Katelyn kept saying, "It's cold in Chicago!" We took the L train into the city and K was amazed. Luckily, the Hilton had a room ready for us at 9am, but it was TINY. We had requested 2 double beds, but they had sold out, so we had a full size bed and had a cot added to our room. The room was newly refurbished and the decor was very modern and new, but still the size was v. small. With the cot down, you couldn't walk around the bed. There were a lot of "Excuse me's" and climbing over beds to get to where you needed to go. It really didn't matter too much, as we were rarely in the room. Bryan was busy with the conference (Bill Clinton and Mayor Daley were speakers) and K and I just hit the pavement and walked, walked, walked and shopped. We were able to meet up with some friends of mine and meet their little ones. We also took advantage of a nanny service the hotel provides and left K with an in-room sitter for 4 hours (that was the minimum...at $25 an hour...you do the math) and went to some Greenbuild functions held around the city, including House of Blues and Fado Irish Pub. My friend Debbie and I took Katelyn to American Girl Place on Thursday and I was just overwhelmed. Of course as soon as we step inside, K says "I want that doll...I want this doll...I want...(insert name of overpriced item here). It was a cool store and if you're into the dolls, it would be very cool. I could only imagine a Barbie or Cabbage Patch doll store back in the day. Moms and daughters were dressed up, ready for tea with their dolls. Enter Debbie, K, and myself, in casual jeans and sneakers. The dolls are really cute and the accessories are adorable, but I just can't imagine spending $87 on a doll and $54 on a stroller for the doll, nor $30 to get the doll's hair done. One mom came in, scooped up several boxes for her 19 month old daughter. 19 months!! She doesn't know the difference! Katelyn needs a few years before we go back (and I need to hit the lottery)...we weren't quite ready! It is an amazing place, though and if you have a little girl interested in the dolls, she will LOVE it!

We hit Lincoln Park Zoo with Belch and Denis and their boys (Katelyn loved them, they became fast friends), then walked more around the city. We had to check out of our hotel on Fri. am, so we were homeless for the day. Not too easy when you have a cranky 3 yr. old who just needs a nap, but no place to take one. I thought she might sleep in the stroller if I walked her enough, but no luck. We took the L to my old apt....still looks the exact same. They are doing tons of construction and building fancy condos and starbucks now. I hope they keep most of the neighborhood the same.

It was a very fun visit, but glad to be home, back to the warm weather and a normal routine.

I am so mad at myself...I accidently deleted most of our pictures of my digital camera. We searched the recycle bin, etc. and they are gone. I'm just sick about it. I have a few left. This picture is of "The Bean" in Millenium Park downtown.

No comments: