Thursday, February 26, 2009

So Lucky...

This post kind of got away from me and ended up being more of a written prayer...

A few months ago in church, our pastor did a series called "One Month To Live." There was a video and book to accompany his series, which we followed in our small group. I thought it was a good lesson at the time...don't take tomorrow for granted, love the ones you're with, TELL them you love them, do what you want to do today, don't wait...etc. Only now, months later, do I really GET it. It seems like people are disappearing all around me, or having extremely close calls and I have learned to take each day as a true gift. Started off with my grandfather dying so suddenly on Dec. 29th...his death was the first close relatives loss I've experienced, and it's been tough. A month later, our adopted grandma here in Florida, my brother in law's grandma passed pretty quickly. A few weeks ago, my great Aunt Eleanor in Boston passed away, then my dad's best friend was admitted to the hospital. A good friend of mine had a close call with her parents being struck by a drunk driver (they are both okay, thank God)....and as she said, you realize you are not immune to bad things happening. Experiences like this just really make you think and appreciate your health and all those close to you. I feel sooo lucky to have my family so close, and healthy. I'm grateful for happy, healthy children and a wonderful husband. And I feel strength in God that He is really with us. I watched Jennifer Hudson, the singer who's mom, sister, and nephew were murdered in Oct. and when accepting her Grammy award, she thanked God for "seeing me through." I am amazed by her faith, that she isn't angry or asking why (and maybe she went through that), but she thanked God. I need to do that more often...Thank God for all my blessings.

1 comment:

Lark said...

I've been feeling the same way lately Carol. Mine is, 'i wonder if today will be the day when something tragic happens to me.' It seems to be all around, but not to me yet.