Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Challenges





So, we've been home for about a week now and overall, I would say things are going well. My mom has been here for 2 weeks and has been a HUGE help, especially with Katelyn. Katelyn seems to be adjusting well and just wants to help all the time. She gets diapers ready, chooses his clothes to wear in the morning, waves a rattle above hime during diaper changes, etc. Sometimes, she can help too much and swings his swing too high, or gets in his face when he's crying, or even takes out her frustration on him (she did a "knock knock joke" on his head). We have to watch her closely, but she's been pretty good. I find it difficult to balance time and attention btwn the two of them.


Brady has jaundice and has been under billi lights all weekend. He actually seems to really like the warmth and the sound of the fan from the machine. Luckily, his numbers went down and we were able to take him off the lights on Sunday. He's gaining weight and eating/sleeping well...what more can you ask for???


Nursing has been another hurdle. He nurses well and stays latched on, etc. but he's killing my right side. I don't know what he's doing wrong. I'm in so much pain...even water from the shower is painful. Also, my milk supply seems to be low and I still have to supplement him with a bottle, which is a bummer. Sunday night I started to feel like I had the flu and developed a fever of close to 103. My right breast had long, red streaks and was hard as a rock. I called my dr. first thing that morning and was given antibiotics right away as I had developed mastitis. I know it's just the start, but I am so tempted to just give up nursing all together!!


I haven't felt any blues, etc. After K was born, I cried uncontrollably for 2 weeks after her birth. I was just so overwhelmed by every emotion and just felt all over the place. This time around I'm so calm and just even. It's nice not to be on such an emotional roller coaster.


I was afraid I wouldn't love him as much as Katelyn, but as soon as I held him, I felt my heart just get bigger and I fell in love with him right away. Everyone told me there's enough love for both, and they were right!!


We are very lucky to have such an easy-going baby...we are very blessed.

1 comment:

Lark said...

oh mastitis! That's what it sounded like. I had that and the antibiotics were yuck on my digestive system (to be polite). Aaanywho...Keep up with the nursing! They say that the more you do it the better things get with mastitis. I got it as I was dropping a feeding during weaning. But we got through it and continued nursing. But don't beat yourself up about it if it happens again and you don't nurse anymore. You are doing the best you can!!