Friday, February 22, 2008

Sometimes you don't know what the day will bring...

Best laid plans...
Last night I made a list of everything that needed to get done today...lots of cleaning and setting up as I am hosting a 12hr. crop tomorrow. There's a lot to get done, plus we always go to our local library for storytime on Fridays.
Well, yesterday I noticed K's right eyelid was red and puffy. I didn't think much of it and assumed she had irritated it or touched something that gave her a reaction. This morning when she woke, it wasn't any better..maybe even a little worse. I called her dr. office and asked to speak to the nurse, thinking she would tell me not to worry, give some benadryl, etc. After I explained the red eyelid...no fever, good appetite, not itching it, no discharge in the eye...she asked me if I could come in right away. I was a bit stunned, but got our stuff together (got the library books so we could head over there after a quick look at the dr. office). Well, nothing is quick at the dr. office. I'm glad they squeezed us in, but we waited for an hour (including 30 min. sitting alone in the exam room...you start to think they forgot about you!). The dr. came in, and took a look at her eye by shining that light into it. She gave a huge sigh of relief and said, "good. It's not as bad as I suspected." WHAT??? She kept looking over K and it turns out this poor child has her first ear infection, a sinus infection, and a possible start to pink eye. I had NO idea she was even feeling a little under the weather. The dr. warned me she was contagious for 24 hrs, so no library and running around town. After one dose of antibiotics, her eye already looks better. I'm so glad we got in to see the doctor and feel so bad I missed every sign that she was sick.

No comments: